Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Chicago

One of our best friends who lives in Chicago is turning 30 next month. His girlfriend threw him a surprise party and H and I decided to take off work last Friday to be there for the big surprise. Boy was he surprised, not only did not expect a surprise party 2 weeks before his actual birthday, but to see us all the way from Michigan blew his mind. I held the honor of being the only friend that was at both his 17th birthday and his 30th. The distraction of being in a new city and not having any of our normal stresses around (work stress, dying father in law, infertility) was awesome!

While I was there I tried a few new things.
  • Bloody Marys.
Joe's Bar on Weed Street is where I experience this little gem. I was very tipsy from a day of drinking at other bars so I kept telling everyone I was with and everyone around me "This is the BEST Bloody Mary I've ever had!" Then they about pissed themselves when they found out I'd never actually had one before. Their Hand Crafted Bloody Mary is served with a beef stick, pickle, lemon, lime, olive, celery, and a cheese skewer. "It's practically a meal!" Because it was 10pm at night they didn't have the beef stick or cheese skewer in there but it was still fabulous! Can't wait to go back for the weekend before St. Pats day when they dye the river green.
I really liked this pizza and hope to go back. The crust was the best part. I haven't liked other types of deep dish crust when I've tried them before at the Original Pizzeria Uno or Pizzapapalis in Detroit. I haven't tried Giordanos yet and Guido said he likes Giordanos better. Good thing we don't eat pizza in Chicago that often or we'd truly be a house divided.
  • Riding in a Prius
Our friend the birthday lives in the West Loop in Chicago. Because he's going to be a permanent city dweller he bought a Prius. Whenever he tried to park it in our driveway when he was in town, we'd give him such shit for driving around in a "pregnant roller skate". Our friend was our shuttle driver and we all crammed into the prius and it wasn't bad at all. A zippy little car and he gets an ungodly amount of miles to the gallon.

H and I are going back to Chicago in a couple more weeks and can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment